Page banner image

Re: Question - Fav. Unexpected Wet Time

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wetnboy on May 22, 2022 at 14:20:23

In Reply to: Question posted by Steven B on May 21, 2022 at 23:38:03:

Hmmmmm,do I have to choose only one?

It will have to be this one.......

My good friend and I went into Chicago to see the Chicago Air and Water show which is an annual event along the lakefront. It is actually the largest FREE Admission Air show. We were both in our early 20's and had driven into the city and parked.

The show features the Blue Angels flying formations and doing tricks both over Lake Michigan and some of them peel off and fly past some of the city's skyscrapers. The water portion of the show features acrobatic skiers doing tricks and formations and a fan favorite is a 'Fire Boat' spraying it's water cannon. The focal point of the show is along the North Ave. Beach and extends all the way south to the famous "Oak Street" beach.

So you ask - how did we 'unexpectedly' get wet. We were dressed in Levis Blue Jeans, T-shirts, our usual Nike Trainers with white calf length sport socks with colored stripes on them watching the show from the Beach like most everyone else was.

The show is usually in August which is the 'Hottest' time of year in Chicago so getting wet 'would' feel pretty good. So I know you are thinking we jumped in the lake - after all the cool water would feel good after being in the hot sun watching the show right?
That's not what happened, at least not the 'first' thing that happened.

First thing that happened is a dark cloud moved overhead and............you guessed it a 'cloudburst' with rain pouring down so fast that the majority of the crowd went fleeing. We were getting 'soaked' so quickly that it was pointless to flee as we had parked several blocks away. Looking at the sky this was a small 'isolated' dark cloud that quickly would move past and out over the lake. So we decided to simply stand up and enjoy the soaking.

I recall being so soaked that even our shoes squished. The sand on the beach was now wet and firm and the crowd was virtually gone with only a handful of brave souls still out there. The air show had finished and the finale of the water-skiing was wrapping up during the cloudburst. The end of the show is the Fire Boat spraying it's water cannon and so as the rain stopped so did the show.

My friend and I looked at each other with our hair plastered on our foreheads and T-shirts dripping and I said - well, we are already this wet so let's see what the lake feels like. The air had been 'Hot and Humid' but Lake Michigan for those that don't know is the 2nd largest 'Great Lake' at 115 miles wide x 307 miles long and an 'Average' depth of 279 feet. So it remains 'cold' all year except in late July and August along the shallow beaches which warm from the sunlight so long as the waves coming in are not too cold.

We walked into the lake and it felt refreshingly 'cool' so we went in up to our waists (it's you chest that will feel 'cold') as the water temp in August in Chicago is between 69F and 74F. After splashing around a bit we dipped briefly and then walked out and headed for the car dripping and sloshing the whole way.

Of course the sun had come back out and so it was warming us as we walked. When we got back to my car we were still squishing water inside our trainers, but our clothes had stopped dripping. It was a nice 'damp' drive back home which was about an hour drive.

That's my all time fav. 'unexpected' wet time!

Wetnboy (SLYC)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]