Page banner image

Black Tie "Pool"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Robert on November 17, 2021 at 03:02:50

I had the following experience this past August. In all my years of fantasizing about wet clothes and getting wet myself, I've never actually had this happen in person.

I was on holiday in Ontario, Canada with my family to visit some friends we hadn't seen in ages. We were staying at an AirBnB townhouse which was in a gated condominium corportation (I guess that's like an HOA, for those of you State-side) complete with access to a clubhouse which had some activities, and an indoor pool. (This was a legal arrangement - the condo Board in fact loved having the visitors come in, so that was good.) The pool had apparently just reopened due to the pandemic, and I guess the residents were itching to use it. Well, I went into the clubhouse with my two boys (aged 13 and 16) just to "explore" - so we weren't prepared for anything yet. My wife didn't come along - she stayed back at our townhouse.

Now, since I've had kids, I haven't really gotten proper "wet" in the ways I've liked. I first got wet on my 11th birthday at my aunt's and uncle's house - we were doing a scavenger hunt ("we" being myself and a bunch of my cousins, none my age - either 3+ years older or 3+ years younger, ha ha). I didn't know he had a pool, and neither did my mom - this uncle is my mom's brother, but my uncle had just recently moved and he didn't tell anyone he had a pool (he preferred to be show-offy and not say anything, then complain about it when we all got there as if we could read his mind - but that's a different story...). Anyway, long story short, one of the items we had to retrieve was a $100 bill he'd sunk to the bottom of the pool in a container with a bunch of rocks. Well, he didn't actually say it was a $100 bill - he just said "a rewarding prize". None of us wanted to get it since none of us had our bathing suits, and none of us wanted to go in with nothing on. Then, one of my older cousins, who was 17 at the time, said that the birthday boy "had" to go in. He started egging me on, and I looked back at my parents who basically brushed it off, which was my cue for them saying "yes", so I just went in. I had removed my shoes and socks, but left on my grey t-shirt and khacki pants. I did come out complaining at first, but then when I saw it was actually a $100 bill, I quickly forgot about being wet and was so excited (for an 11-year-old back then (this was in 1990), that was a heck of a lot of money).

I had put my shoes back on later on, and ended up staying wet the rest of the day. When we got back home, I had completely forgotten I was wet until I sat on the sofa and my mom squawked at me to go change and take a shower. I got to my room, and then wondered what it would like if I showered wearing my clothes, since they were already wet, so I asked my mom. To my surprise, she said "ok, sure". Didn't wear my shoes, but got my stuff soaked again, and boy, did it feel good. That's what got me hooked. I'd had many opportunities to get wet (including with shoes) as a teen and in my early 20s, but when I became a father, those opportunities shrunk.

Anyway, I've had water fights and such with my boys as they were growing up, but honestly nothing in "good" clothes and never in shoes. Many times, we'd be washing the car, but would be in shorts and t-shirts along with sandals, or something similar. Just never found any good chances. Little did I know that this was going to be one and was a good one.

We got into the clubhouse, and there were a bunch of teens (boys and girls) hanging around the pool tables. All of the boys were in suits/ties and the girls in nice dresses, etc., so we figured this must be a private event and went to head out. One of the parents, who identified himself as the condo Board Vice-President, introduced himself, and said something as below. Note, none of my quotes are exact, exact, but are very close to the words said; and none of the names I used are their real names.

"Hi there, you must be our AirBnB guests," said the man.

"Hi, uh, yeah. Sorry, we'll head out if this is some sort of private event," I said.

"No, no, please stay. Welcome to <> and make yourselves at home. The clubhouse is never bookable - anyone can come in. So while we're having a party for Danny over there, you're more than welcome to stay," said the man.

"Ok, we won't be long, though, I'd hate to intrude into such a formal event," I said.

"It's no problem at all, you're not intruding! I'm Ernie, by the way, I'm the VP of this complex," said Ernie.

We elbow bumped (the new handshake for us cautious folks, lol) and chatted for a few minutes talking about what amenities were there. We learned that these were regular events, and all the kids had a specific suit just for this. Danny then came over, and we learned that he is very outgoing.

Well, long story short, Danny "invited" my oldest boy, Robbie, to the party. My youngest, Sam, was also invited but didn't really feel like hanging around a bunch of older teenagers - and wasn't into girls quite yet (ha ha). The funny thing was, that they were calling this event the "Black Tie Pool Dance" - to which all of us thought meant "billiards" pool, considering that's where most of the kids were hanging around. It never once occurred to us what was going to happen later...

We ended up going back to our townhouse briefly as Robbie wanted to change (a girl had already caught his eye, and he didn't want to be the only one not wearing a suit), so we all walked back, he changed (into a quite snazzy black suit, complete with a red tie, white shirt, matching pants, and he wore his all black Air Max 90s which were his "dress" shoes), and then Robbie and I went back to the clubhouse. I know for a fact that none of the teenagers liked having the parents around, but none of the parents were really saying anything to tick off the kids.

The kids were having a great time, food came, they ate, they danced, and then sang happy birthday to Danny. Then, a bunch of the kids picked Danny up and tossed him in the swimming pool. One of them then jumped in right behind him, which set off a chain reaction of all the other kids going into the swimming pool in their suits/dresses, etc. Robbie stayed behind and was chatting with this girl, Frankie, to whom he was very attracted.

"Hey, you two coming?" quipped one of the kids from the swimming pool.

Frankie took off for the pool, and Robbie just stood there. He looked back at me, then looked at all his new-found friends who had just gone completely clothed into the pool (removing absolutely nothing), and looked back at me.

"I'd better be going, I can't get my suit wet," said Robbie.

"C'mon, it's part of our tradition here!" said one of the boys.

Robbie looked back at me again, as if he was looking for me to tell him to go ahead, but he didn't say anything. Honestly, I was waiting for him to actually ask, ha ha, rather than just "look" at me - of course I was going to say "yes". Robbie has always been very outgoing, and many times we'd have to punish him for going too far "just because his friends did", so methinks this was what he was thinking - he was on vacation and didn't want to get in trouble.

He sat in a chair on the end before a couple of the boys got out of the pool to chase him. Water was flying everywhere, the sounds of squelching shoes was amplified, and here was one dry 16-year-old (my son) being chased by three completed soaked 16-year-olds, two of whom were smaller than Robbie, running around the clubhouse.

"Guys, I can't get my suit wet, please!" Robbie quipped. "My Dad'll kill me and he's right over there!"

I could see the sheer terror in Robbie's eyes, as I was talking with Ernie, so I finally decided to intervene.

"Go on, Robbie, what are you being chicken for?" I quipped, laughing.

"I can go in? Like this?" Robbie said, looking at me as if I had just spoken in German.

"Sure," I said.

His eyes lit up like a Christmas tree and he allowed the boys to grab him and toss him in. For the next hour-or-so, they were jumping in and out of the pool - none of them having removed anything.

"Ok, time for the birthday march!" said one of the boys.

"What's that?" quipped Robbie, neck deep in the pool.

"We go outside and march down the street being led by Danny and his girlfriend," said the boy.

"Like this?" Robbie asked.

"Yeah, what else?" said another boy.

"Oh, uh, ok, I just thought we'd change first or something," said Robbie.

"No way! It's much more fun like this!" said yet another of the boys.

So, the boys went outside, having not even dried off one bit, into the glaring sun. Their suits were shining so much it was blinding if you looked at them. The sound of the squelching shoes was so loud, my wife probably could have heard it back at the townhouse.

Ernie said to me "you didn't know what a 'Black Tie Pool Dance' was, did you?". I replied that I hadn't thought of the swimming pool part, but that I had heard of a black tie beach party, so I eventually put 2 and 2 together.

"The kids have done this every year since they graduated from Grade 8. They've always had a blast. Honestly, it reduces the number of times the kids get up to no good because they get to do something we'd normally say is 'wrong'," said Ernie. "Actually, it was an accident during the Grade 8 grad, and they all ended up in the pool. So we just decided to make it a tradition for all our birthday parties."

None of us followed them as the walked around the complex, but when they came back, I noticed Sam had joined. He was, of course, dry.

"Oh, uh, hi Dad," said Sam. "I saw everyone walking and decided to join them."

"No problem, but you have to do the honours," I said, pointing to the swimming pool.

"I can, really!?" said Sam, who had also lit up like a Christmas tree.

He took no time at all to jump in, re-joined by everyone else who had re-entered the pool.

What an event! As you can tell, neither of my boys had ever been proper soaked before, and they so wanted to do this and had always assumed I'd kill them... Go figure. Since this event, I think they've been wet more times than they haven't, ha ha. Neither my wife nor I have worried about it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]